Catch up on shows with The Coast On Demand
Friday, August 03, 2012 1:30 PM
Not only is physical activity important to the health of our children today but also the health of our nation in years to come. We need to show our young people the benefits of living an active life while choosing a healthier lifestyle. Studies from American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) show that physical activity declines substantially during adolescence: 70 percent of 12-year-olds participate in vigorous physical activity, yet only 42 percent of 21-year-old men and 30 percent of 21-year-old women do so.
Sport NZ and the ACSM recommend that young adults between the ages of 5- 18 years should:
• Engage in 60 minutes or more of moderate to vigorous physical activity each day
• be active in as many ways as possible, for example through play, dance, sport and recreation, cultural activities, jobs, and moving from place to place
• be active with friends and Whanau, at home, school, and in the community
• spend less than two hours a day (out of school time) in front of television, computers and game consoles.
Sixty minutes a day looks like this:
Exercise should be moderate to vigorous, which means an increased heart rate and some huffing and puffing. The 60 minutes can be completed all at once or in chunks throughout the day. This might include:
• playing outdoor games
• walking, running or riding a bike to get from place to place
• participating in cultural activities such as kapa haka
• after school activities
• school sports – netball, soccer, softball, athletics etc.
Being active is a great way to spend time with family and friends, explore the local community or to re-energise during break times at school.
For more information on how you can be instrumental in getting your kids active. Please go to http://www.sportnz.org.nz/
For more fitness, health, and motivation talk – join Monique on twitter under bodytechfitmama
Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Coast has your chance to WIN a weekend in Wellington, with $1000 ...
Friday, April 26, 2013
Welcome to Coast Kitchen, a place to share and enjoy recipes. The Coast ...
Friday, May 17, 2013
The stunning new novel from the author of the bestselling SECRETS OF THE T ...