Catch up on shows with The Coast On Demand
Friday, October 05, 2012 12:24 PM
Each of the 10 biomarkers of aging, and the quality of each in our lives, is affected directly by strength training. Continuing from last week below are the last five;
6. The fat content of the body -- Between the ages of 20 and 65, the average person doubles his ratio of fat to muscle. This process is exasperated by a sedentary lifestyle and overeating. Exercise can often serve to retard appetite and, conversely, when you’re not training, you tend to be hungrier – and to eat more often.
7. Aerobic capacity -- By the age of 65 the body’s ability to use oxygen efficiently declines by 30 – 40%.
8. Cholesterol and HDL ratios -- Around age 50 HDL (or “High Density Lipoproteins, the so-called “good cholesterol” that protects the body against heart disease) loses ground to the LDL (or “Low Density Lipoproteins,” the so-called “bad cholesterol”); a phenomenon that dramatically increases the risk of heart attack.
9. A decline in muscle mass -- The average American loses 6.6 pounds of muscle with each decade after young adulthood and the rate of loss increases after the age of 45 (but only if you don’t do anything to replace it).
10. Blood pressure -- The majority of Americans show a steady increase of blood pressure with each decade of age.
In fact, strength training is so important, it’s the only activity that’s been scientifically proven to affect all ten! No other activity even comes close, not even aerobics!
On a personal note I had the absolute pleasure in meeting Tony Robbins, author of Awaken The Giant Within and ended up onstage with him three times (as his guinea pig) at his 1996 Unleash the Power Within Fire Walk Seminar in Washington. This Conference went over 4 days, and I can attest it was life changing for me, he broke down limiting behaviours/thoughts that were inhibiting me to “move forward.” He simply taught me how to “scratch the record in my mind I had being playing” and to replace with “self empowering beliefs about myself”.
For more information about Tony. www.tonyrobbins.com
For more fitness, health, and motivation talk – join Monique on twitter under bodytechfitmama
Friday, April 26, 2013
Welcome to Coast Kitchen, a place to share and enjoy recipes. The Coast ...
Friday, May 24, 2013
Coast congratulates Shane McCormack of Napier, the lucky winner of&nbs ...
Friday, May 17, 2013
The stunning new novel from the author of the bestselling SECRETS OF THE T ...