- Publish Date
- Monday, 25 September 2017, 3:34PM
Nothing tastes better than the warm crunchy popcorn you buy at the movies.
However, replicating that at home can seem tricky …
Luckily there's a handy life hack for making your stove popped kernels come out perfect every time, and what’s better is that it's so much cheaper and healthier than buying the microwave bags.
If you've ever tried making popcorn in a pot you'll know that it can often come out chewy or tasting stale - far from the desired result - but we’ve uncovered the remedy and it’s easier than you think.
You may have noticed in the movie theatres the popcorn sits under a heat lamp – it’s not just so it’s ready to be scooped up when people buy it - that’s actually how the popcorn gets its crunch by removing the excess moisture left over by the oil.
So to get the same results at home let your freshly popped treat sit in a warm oven at around 100 degrees celsius for 5-10minutes and voilà, delicious, crispy popcorn!
Then you’re free to season it however you want: Classic melted butter, or try kettle-corn flavour with a little icing sugar and salt, or super savoury with parmesan and paprika, or simply leave it plain if you want a healthy snack.
Check out our homemade popcorn recipe below:
What you’ll need:
- Medium to large pot with lid
- Baking tray lined with baking paper
- 1/4 cup of cooking oil
- 2/3 cup of popcorn kernels
- Your choice of seasoning
1. Add cooking oil along with 3 kernels to your pot and cook over a medium heat until all 3 kernels pop. Meanwhile, preheat the oven for 100 degrees celsius.
2. Remove the 3 popped kernels and add the remaining kernels to the pot. Put the lid on the pot.
3. Gently shake the pot occasionally as the popping starts. After 30seconds turn the heat down to low and continue to shake the pot for approximately 2minutes or until the popping slows. Remove the pot from the heat and leave the lid on until the popping slows down.
4. Transfer popcorn from the pot onto the baking tray and let the popcorn sit in the oven for 5-10mintues.
5. Season and enjoy!