Enjoy your own little piece of the beach year-round! A few dainty seashells and a scoop of sand embedded in this stunning gel candle will kindle the memory of a fond summer retreat long into the winter months.
Less than 1 hour to complete, excluding cooling time.
- 2 cups clear gel wax
- 4" clear glass cylindrical vase
- ¾ cup of sand
- Assorted seashells and rocks
- 2 (1 ½”) starfish
- 2 (½”) seashells
- 2 drops sea breeze fragrance
- 6" candlewick with metal anchor
- Silicone glue
- Wooden dowel
- Craft stick
- Transparent tape
- Pan with pour spout
- Candy thermometer
1. Cover work surface with newspaper. Pour sand into vase. String wick through the anchor and crimp anchor with pliers. Straighten the wick and push wick anchor through sand to the bottom of vase. Centre wick in vase. Place wooden dowel across opening of vase and wrap wick around it; secure with tape. Arrange assorted seashells and rocks on sand. Glue starfish and ½” shells to inside of vase as desired.
2. Break gel wax into 1”-2” pieces; place in pan and heat, following manufacturer’s directions, until completely melted, stirring frequently with craft stick and monitoring temperature with candy thermometer. Add fragrance to wax; pour into vase. Let cool. Note: Avoid moving candle while gel is cooling.
3. Trim wick to ¼”.
Never leave burning candle unattended.
Blow out candle before it burns to within ½” of shells and sand.
Seashells and sand are generally available for purchase at craft stores.
Do not prepare food using pans and utensils used for candle making.
From Quick and Easy Crafts Magazine.