- Publish Date
- Thursday, 3 August 2017, 11:19AM
- By Allyson Gofton
A Chicago steak is a scotch fillet on the bone. It is about 3 cm thick. Look for the Quality Mark logo when buying beef.
- 2 Chicago Steaks
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 250 grams Swiss brown or flat mushrooms, diced
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- ½ cup red wine or port
- ½ cup cream
- 1 tblsp chopped sage
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper and leave covered at room temperature for 30 minutes. Place the steaks into a lightly oiled, very hot pan and brown on all sides.
- Transfer to a fan bake oven, pre-heated to 200ºC for 15 minutes. Once the steak is cooked, remove from the oven and place on a warm plate for 5 minutes.
- Heat a knob of butter in a frying pan and cook the onion and mushrooms over a moderate to low heat for 8-10 minutes or until they have softened. Add the mustard, wine or port and allow it to come to the boil before stirring in the cream and sage. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the steaks sliced, accompanied by the mushroom sauce.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you