Here is a recipe for a sensational cake – which my friend Shirley has passed on to me.
- 150 grams butter
- 1½ cups caster sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 2 cups self raisingflour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup peeled and chopped feijoas
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light in colour and creamy in texture. Beat in the egg yolks.
- Fold in the coconut and sifted dry ingredients with the milk and fruit.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the cake mixture.
- Turn into a well-greased and lined 23 or 25cm cake tin.
- Bake at 180ºC for 1 hour or until a cake skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before turning out.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving or cover with a lemon icing prepared from icing sugar, grated lemon rind and lemon juice.