- Publish Date
- Friday, 18 August 2017, 2:48PM
- By Allyson Gofton
- 1 kilogram crown pumpkin, cut into wedges with seeds removed
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¾-1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg or mace
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- ¼ cup grated fresh Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley to garnish
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Roast the pumpkin in a baking dish at 200ºC for 45 minutes until tender. Cool, scoop the flesh from the pumpkin, place in a bowl and mash until smooth.
- Add the egg, half the flour, nutmeg, oregano and Parmesan cheese. Season well with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Knead until smooth, gradually adding the remaining flour if required. Roll into sausage-like cylinders about 2.5cm wide and then divide into 2-3 pieces. Flatten the pieces, pinching the ends to form crescents.
- Poach 4-5 gnocchi at a time in simmering salted water for 2-3 minutes or until they float to the surface. Remove and place in a greased ovenproof serving dish. Cover and keep warm. Poach the remaining gnocchi.
- Sprinkle over the mozzarella cheese and fan grill at 180ºC until golden. Serve garnished with the parsley. If you do not have a fan grill, then grill under a moderate temperature until golden and hot. Serve with salad.
- For pumpkin gnocchi, you require a dry pumpkin and dry mash. If the mashed pumpkin is moist, cook over a moderate heat, stirring until thick and dry. - For a richer version, pour ½ cup cream, crème fraiche or mascarpone over the pumpkin gnocchi before grilling - delicious!
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you