- Publish Date
- Thursday, 22 February 2018, 3:19PM
- By Allyson Gofton
A rich tasting chocolate cake that makes great use of summers cougette bounty.
- 250 grams butter, softened to room temperature
- 1½ cups caster sugar
- ½ cup flavourless oil - try light olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 2¾ cup flour
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1¼ teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 courgettes trimmed and grated (1½ cups)
- ½ cup unsweetened plain yoghurt
- 200 grams dark chocolate, chopped
- ¾ cup cream
- Beat the butter, sugar and oil together until thick and creamy. Beat in the eggs.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, Chinese five spice or mixed spice, baking soda and salt into the creamed mixture and fold in with the courgettes and yoghurt.
- Turn into a well-greased and paper-lined 23cm round cake tin.
- Bake at 160ºC for 1-1¼ hours or until cooked. Cool before pouring over the chocolate glaze.
- Melt the chocolate and cream together in a microwave on high power for 2 minutes or until the chocolate has almost melted. Stir until smooth.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you