- Publish Date
- Thursday, 27 October 2016, 12:02PM
When you think of cleaning up around your home or office, chances are pretty good that you are leaving out a lot of places where germs love to gather. A quick wipe-down of the most commonly-used surfaces will not get rid of all the germs that can make you sick. You need to think outside the box just a little and consider things that are handled often, such as the following:
1. Telephone: This includes cell phones since so many people take them everywhere and set them down in all kinds of places. As for landline phones, these also deserve a good going-over with a good cleaning solution that can kill viruses and bacteria. Phones are particularly bad since they are so often held close to the mouth where breathing, coughing, and sneezing can result in a shower of germs on the surface.
2. Shared Computer: Is there a computer at home or at work that is used by more than one person? if so, this is another place germs will gather and spread from one person another. It’s a good idea to wipe down both the keyboard and the mouse with an alcohol-based solution.
3. Refrigerator Handle: Now here’s something you probably don’t think about cleaning very often. When you take a minute to consider how many times it is touched in a typical day, you may get an idea of how many germs may be living on it. A disinfectant wipe is probably the best way to clean it, so give a few good wipes and let it dry on its own. It’s also not a bad idea to give some attention to other areas in the kitchen that are touched a lot, like stove controls, cabinet and drawer handles, and oven door handles.
4. Your Car: Think of all the places inside your car you normally touch and give them a quick wipe with a disinfectant wipe one a week or so. Places like the steering wheel, gear shift, climate controls, radio knobs and buttons and other things that get handled frequently are prime targets.
5. Remote Controls: Talk about something that gets handled a lot! A TV remote control gets handled constantly while you are watching television, especially if you happen to be watching it with a man who likes to channel-surf. You can use the same kind of disinfectant wipes on a remote control that you use to clean your computer.
6. Wallet: Think about it. Your purse or wallet often goes wherever you go with very few exceptions. Just think about all the places you have put it down. Depending on what it’s made of, you can wipe it down with a good disinfectant or pick up a fabric-safe disinfectant spray so you can give it a good going over on a regular basis. Since most purses and wallets are well travelled, cleaning it every day is certainly not a bad idea at all.
7. Door Handles And Knobs: Just about everyone that enters or leaves your house will be grabbing hold of a door knob or handle, making them another prime gathering place for germs that can cause colds, flu and other illnesses. Giving them all a wipe with a good disinfectant solution at least once a week may help cut down the chances of someone in your household getting sick.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you