• ELTON JOHN - HONKY CAT

    Now Playing

    HONKY CAT - ELTON JOHN

  • ORLEANS - DANCE WITH ME

    Previously Played

    DANCE WITH ME - ORLEANS

  • ANDREW GOLD - THANK YOU FOR BEING A FRIEND

    Previously Played

    THANK YOU FOR BEING A FRIEND - ANDREW GOLD

  • BLONDIE - HEART OF GLASS

    Previously Played

    HEART OF GLASS - BLONDIE

  • CHRISTIE - YELLOW RIVER

    Previously Played

    YELLOW RIVER - CHRISTIE

  • THREE DEGREES - WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN

    Previously Played

    WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN - THREE DEGREES

  • Earth, Wind & Fire - AFTER THE LOVE HAS GONE

    Previously Played

    AFTER THE LOVE HAS GONE - Earth, Wind & Fire

  • AARON NEVILLE - EVERYBODY PLAYS THE FOOL

    Previously Played

    EVERYBODY PLAYS THE FOOL - AARON NEVILLE

  • ERIC CLAPTON - I SHOT THE SHERIFF

    Previously Played

    I SHOT THE SHERIFF - ERIC CLAPTON

  • HALL & OATES - ONE ON ONE

    Previously Played

    ONE ON ONE - HALL & OATES

  • BILLY JOEL - MY LIFE

    Previously Played

    MY LIFE - BILLY JOEL

  • HUEY LEWIS & GWYNETH PALTROW - CRUISIN'

    Previously Played

    CRUISIN' - HUEY LEWIS & GWYNETH PALTROW

  • THE POINTER SISTERS - FIRE

    Previously Played

    FIRE - THE POINTER SISTERS

  • COMMODORES - NIGHTSHIFT

    Previously Played

    NIGHTSHIFT - COMMODORES

  • CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL - HAVE YOU EVER SEEN THE RAIN?

    Previously Played

    HAVE YOU EVER SEEN THE RAIN? - CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL

  • CULTURE CLUB - KARMA CHAMELEON

    Previously Played

    KARMA CHAMELEON - CULTURE CLUB

  • STEVIE WONDER - ISN'T SHE LOVELY

    Previously Played

    ISN'T SHE LOVELY - STEVIE WONDER

  • MADONNA - LIKE A PRAYER

    Previously Played

    LIKE A PRAYER - MADONNA

  • LOU RAWLS - YOU'LL NEVER FIND ANOTHER LOVE

    Previously Played

    YOU'LL NEVER FIND ANOTHER LOVE - LOU RAWLS

  • Counting Crows / Vanessa Carlton - BIG YELLOW TAXI

    Previously Played

    BIG YELLOW TAXI - Counting Crows / Vanessa Carlton

  • THE BEATLES - SOMETHING

    Previously Played

    SOMETHING - THE BEATLES

Anne Van Dyke - Iguazu Falls

Author
Anne Van Dyke,
Section
Travel,
Publish Date
Friday, 20 September 2013, 12:00AM

Iguazu Falls (or Iguassu) on the border of Argentina and Brazil is for me one of the top natural wonders of the world.

A few years back when visiting Argentina I managed a side trip to the magnificent Iguazu Falls and can now say that I was totally unprepared for their overwhelming expanse, beauty and power. As they were named one of the New Wonders of Nature in 2011 I'm not the only one to feel this way.

Iguazu, consisting of  275 separate falls is located in sub-tropical jungle on the Iguazu River and can be enjoyed from either Argentina or Brazil with each side offering a different experience. Argentina claims 80% of the Falls and on the other side Brazil has 20% ownership so the best side for viewing is actually from the Brazilian side.

We chose to stay on the Argentinian side right in the National Park which meant we had the most phenomonal views of the raging Falls and the surrounding jungle especially when lit up by the full moon at night. Also, we simply strolled down to the Falls whenever we fancied on the well constructed and safe walkways.

A must is the zodiac boat trip to the actual face of the Falls and then a quick dip under the raging water. A rather wet but wonderful experience! You may also take a Disney-like train to the top of Devils Throat-the highest of the Falls which gives you far reaching views of the area.

We stayed for two nights which allowed us enough time to  tour the Brazilian side. Prebook an ecorted tour that picks you up from your hotel and once over the border you'll stop at  the famed Iguassu Bird Park which is home to a multitude of brightly coloured and exotic bird species. I never knew there were so many different kinds of tucans! There's also an array of native animals such as spotted jaguars, coral snakes and prego monkeys on both sides of the Falls that you may be lucky enough to spot from eco-buses.

Simply, Iguazu(or Iguassu,as it's known in Brazil) is truly an unforgettable eco-experience!

Anne's tip: Visit in the shoulder months of May and September as that's when the Falls tend to be fullest and the tourist numbers lowest.



To plan your travel itinerary contact Anne Van Dyke: www.annevandyke.com

Follow Anne's travels on Facebook, here.

Listen Live Here Listen Live on iHeartRadio