Christchurch terror attack: Death toll rises to 51 after injured man dies

Publish Date
Friday, 3 May 2019, 6:17AM

Turkey's Foreign Minister has today announced a Turkish citizen who was wounded in the mosque attacks in New Zealand has died.

"Unfortunately, we have lost our citizen Zekeriya Tuyan who was seriously wounded in the treacherous terrorist attack in Christchurch, New Zealand," Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Twitter.

Tuyan's death is also being reported by various overseas media outlets.

Tuyan was one of three Turkish citizens wounded in the terror attack on two mosques on March 15.

Tuyan's death rises the death toll to 51.

The Turkish state-run Anadolu Agency said the father of two children was wounded in the back and the leg and died on Thursday after undergoing surgery.

READ MORE:
Jase's tribute to everyone affected by the Christchurch shootings
Watch this US choir perform an incredible version of Pokarekare Ana as a tribute to Christchurch

Tuyan's brother reportedly told Anadolu that Tuyan had been taken to surgery on Thursday, but he could not be saved.

"He had surgery today, they couldn't stop the bleeding so we lost him," he is reported as saying.

"We were happy because we thought it was going well, he had been battling for 50 days."

 

This article was first published on nzherald.co.nz and is republished here with permission.