The Queen releases statement in light of Harry and Meghan's bombshell

Publish Date
Thursday, 9 January 2020, 12:22PM
Getty Images

Getty Images

The Queen has released a statement in the wake of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's bombshell news, with the couple having chosen to step down as 'senior members' of the royal family.

The official statement says "Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage. We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through."

Many members of the British media have also had their say on the matter, including opinionated personality Piers Morgan. 

The BBC's royal correspondent is reporting the Queen and others in the Royal family were not consulted before her grandson and his wife revealed the move this morning.The BBC also says it understands senior royals were 'hurt' by the announcement.

The news comes after an official statement from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex was released earlier this morning via their Instagram account.

The couple recently returned home from their extended break, having celebrated Thanksgiving and Christmas with their eight-month-old son Archie out of the public eye.