- Publish Date
- Saturday, 1 October 2022, 9:46AM
Custard slices are a classic Kiwi bakery treat; with sweet, creamy set-custard between layers of crisp puff pastry. But Allyson Gofton's recipe puts an irresistible zingy twist on the old favourite.
- 2 sheets pre-rolled frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 cup lemon curd
- 250 gram tub mascarpone
- 2 tblsp citrus-based liqueur (Limoncello, Cointreau)
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar
- 3-4 tblsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp grated lemon rind to garnish
- Place the defrosted sheets puff pastry on a baking paper-lined tray and cut in half. Prick each piece well with a fork.
- Bake at 230°C for 8-10 minutes or until the sheets are well risen, golden and well cooked. Remove from the heat and, when cold, trim the edges and crush lightly.
- Mix together the lemon curd, mascarpone and liqueur. Spread this mixture on top of two bases of puff pastry. Top each with the remaining cooked sheet of puff pastry. Spread over the icing and garnish with lemon rind. Cut into slices to serve.
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and stir in sufficient lemon juice to make a thick icing of spreadable consistency.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you