- Publish Date
- Saturday, 15 May 2021, 12:00PM
Gordon Ramsay has shown the world how to make his signature Shepherd’s Pie - and it does not disappoint!
The great British classic - made with savoury ground lamb, vegetables and a cheesy potato crust - is hearty, delicious and simple to prepare.
Plus, Gordon's recipe uses just the right amount of red wine and Worcestershire sauce to create a balanced depth of flavour!
- 2 tbsp olive oil.
- 500g minced lean lamb.
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 1 large onion, finely grated.
- 1 large carrot, finely grated.
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated.
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce.
- 1 tbsp tomato puree.
- 250ml red wine.
- A handful of thyme sprigs, leaves picked.
- 1 sprig of rosemary, needles chopped.
- 300ml chicken stock.
- 1kg Desiree potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks.
- 50g butter.
- 2 egg yolks.
- Parmesan, grated.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the oil in a large pan until hot.
- Season the mince and fry in the oil over moderate to high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir the onions and carrot into the mince then grate the garlic in as well.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree and herbs and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the red wine and reduce until almost completely evaporated.
- Add the chicken stock, bring to the boil and simmer until the sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender.
- Drain then return to the hot pan over low heat to dry out briefly.
- Pass them through a potato ricer then beat in the egg yolks, followed by about 2 tbsp grated Parmesan. Check for seasoning.
- Spoon the mince into the bottom of a large ovenproof dish.
- Using a large spoon, layer the mashed potato generously on top of the mince, starting from the outside and working your way into the middle.
- Grate some extra Parmesan over and season.
- Fluff up the mashed potato with a fork to make rough peaks.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 18-20 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you