- Publish Date
- Wednesday, 12 August 2015, 3:15PM
The recent boom in videos showing keen cooks how to make meals with just a handful ingredients is a godsend.
Recently, this four-minute tutorial by YouTuber Ochikeron revealing the trick to whipping up a souffle cheesecake using just eggs, cream cheese and white chocolate went viral.
Along with the four million people who were captivated by this simple recipe demonstration, we are dying to know what this lighter, healthier dessert is actually like?
HOW TO MAKE JAPANESE COTTON CHEESECAKE
120g white chocolate
120g cream cheese
- Separate the eggs and place the whites in a large bowl. Let the egg whites sit in the fridge to make the meringue more stable. Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Break the white chocolate into pieces and break into a large bowl. Then melt it in a double boiler over a pan of hot water.
- Meanwhile, whisk the three egg whites with an electric whisk until firm peaks form. If it's thick enough you can turn the bowl upside down without it sliding out.
- Mix the chocolate until smooth and add the cream cheese. Then remove the bowl from the double boiler, add the three yolks and mix well.
- Add a third of the meringue into the cream cheese batter and blend well. Add the remaining meringue, a half at a time and mix well.
- Rub some oil or butter on parchment paper to line the sides of your tin so the cheesecake can slide down when it shrinks to prevent it from cracking.
- Line a 15cm/6in round cake tin. Pour the batter in.
- Drop the tin lightly on the counter to raise air bubbles out of the batter.
- Place the cake tin on a baking tray and fill the tray with hot water.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes at 170C, then bake at 160C for 15 minutes, then turn off the heat and let the cheesecake sit in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Place on a wire rack and cool completely, dust with powdered sugar and serve.