- Publish Date
- Tuesday, 13 October 2015, 11:10AM
Katherine Gaydos’s eye was glued completely shut, after a friend accidentally mixed up her eye drops with super glue.
Gaydos was outside her Florida house, when a piece of debris flew into her eye, “Something blew into my eye. I screamed for someone else to get eye drops out of my purse, and they brought super-glue and poured it into my eye,” Gaydos tells.
“As soon as I felt it burn, I closed my eye and screamed and called 911.” She then went to a doctor, who treated her with antibiotic salve and ointment, but apparently it didn’t do much good.
More than a week later, Gaydos still couldn’t open her eye, and when she went back to the doctor, she was turned away because she didn’t have enough money to pay for further treatment. In the video below, you can see Gaydos, obviously in pain, standing with a tissue in one hand. At one point, she attempt to pry her eye open with her hands, before telling the reporter “it hurts too much.”
But good news, after she aired her story, the same doctor’s office called her back in. This time, a different doctor treated her with lidocaine, and was able to peel her eye open. Her doctor tells her that, despite her eye being glued shut for over a week, the prognosis looks good. “He says that I’ll be able to regain vision, he says that I’ll be able to see in the next couple of days and the eye should be fine.”