How to make the perfect 'restaurant style' chips every time!
- Publish Date
- Friday, 2 June 2017, 6:41PM
If you've ever tried and failed to emulate restaurant-quality chips, this handy guide will help you cook up the perfect french fries.
The experts at food website Greatist.com have shared an incredibly simple guide to oven roasting chips that are crispy on the outside but soft and fluffy inside.
The experts say that conjuring up the perfect chip is all about technique and getting your ratios right - and using a very surprising ingredient.
1. Use classic Russet potatoes - the ones with dark brown skin and few eyes.
2. Slice the potatoes to a quarter of an inch thick. If they're too thin then they'll burn on the outside before they're cooked on the inside.
3. Pat them dry to remove excess water and sprinkle each potato with a tablespoon of cornstarch, which they say is the secret ingredient. Apparently it absorbs more moisture, which helps the chips get extra crunchy.
4. Sprinkle each potato with one or two tablespoons of olive oil, ensuring they are evenly coated.
5. Spread them evenly on the baking tray, ensuring that they aren't too close together or overlapping.
6. The crucial temperature for perfect french fry is 450 Fahrenheit (230 degrees Celsius).
7. Cook them for around 20-25 minutes and make sure you flip them halfway through.
Source: Daily Mail.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you