Meghan Markle claims Prince Harry has "lost his father" through royal rift

Publish Date
Tuesday, 30 August 2022, 9:48AM
Getty Images

Getty Images

In March last year Prince Harry and Meghan Markle rocked the royal family and divided people around the world when they sat down for an explosive interview with Oprah Winfrey.

And now the Duchess of Sussex has broken her silence on the royal rift once again.

Speaking in a new lengthy interview with The Cut, the 41-year-old former actress revealed the full extent of the breakdown of the relationship between Harry and Prince Charles.

She said it is taking "a lot of effort" to forgive the royal family and her own estranged family.

She claimed the Duke feels he has "lost" his dad.

Speaking of her leaked letter to her father, Thomas Markle, which has since been the subject of a court case, she said of the time: "Harry said to me, 'I lost my dad in this process.'"

She added: "It doesn't have to be the same for them as it was for me, but that's his decision."

Markle also went over the attempts she and Harry made to try and remain in the royal family but living outside of the UK.

The Cut reports they were willing to go to New Zealand, Canada or South Africa, but the arrangement was refused.

"Anything to just ... because just by existing, we were upsetting the dynamic of the hierarchy. So we go, 'Okay, fine, let's get out of here. Happy to,'‚ÄČ" she says, putting her hands up in mock defeat.

"That, for whatever reason, is not something that we were allowed to do, even though several other members of the family do that exact thing."

Harry also makes an appearance in the interview to speak about living and working with Meghan in their Montecito, California, home.

Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you