Prince William makes first public appearance since the pandemic began to thank ambulance staff

Publish Date
Wednesday, 17 June 2020, 11:52AM

Prince William has made his official return to royal duties for the first time in three months.

The Duke of Cambridge - who has been isolating with his wife, Kate Middleton, and their three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis, at their Anmer Hall home since the start of the global pandemic - ventured out for a visit to the King's Lynn Ambulance Station at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

During the socially distanced visit, the 37-year-old thanked ambulance crews for their dedication and work in responding to the COVID-19 outbreak.

On his arrival at the ambulance station, the Duke passed a COVID-19 temperature test and washed his hands before stopping himself from shaking hands with the hard-working staff.

He said: "I'm still fighting the urge to shake hands. I'm keeping my hands by my side."

READ MORE:
• Prince George and Princess Charlotte are set to miss a major royal milestone this week
• Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis share sweet "thank you" video to medical workers

The Prince was told how the East of England Ambulance Service Trust had been able to continue providing round-the-clock accident and emergency services to 6.2 million people with support from other "blue lights partners" including air ambulances.

The service, which operates over 130 sites, had also been supported by members of the public, local businesses and volunteering networks during the crisis.

William told the workers that he had enjoyed the weekly Clap For Carers campaign during lockdown, calling it a "powerful initiative."

Before leaving the station, the father-of-three thanked paramedics working from their families for their "sacrifices" and for all their hard work.

During the lockdown, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have been conducting virtual meetings via Zoom while homeschooling their children.