- Publish Date
- Monday, 19 December 2016, 11:34AM
- By Allyson Gofton
After the indulgence of Christmas Day lunch, be creative with left overs . Try one of these ideas.
- Salmon, smoked or fresh can be mixed with whipped cream, cream cheese or sour cream with lemon juice and a touch of horseradish cream or mustard to make a great pate – ideal to take on a picnic.
- Slices of ham can be wrapped around asparagus and topped with cheese and quickly baked to golden perfection. Great Boxing Day lunch.
- Pull chunks of turkey into bite-sized pieces and toss through a store bough tabbouleh adding in handfuls of fresh mint and basil leaves for a great salad. Yesterdays turkey is best served cold.
- Mix chopped ham or turkey, mixed with mozzarella and caramelised onion chutney and make quesadilla.
Mushroom 'n' bacon upside-down tart
•1x quantity Parmesan Cheese Pastry, chilled (see recipe on this website)
•2 tablespoons butter
•½ onion, peeled and finely chopped
•1 teaspoon minced garlic
•4 rashers bacon, diced
•1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
•1 tablespoon flour
•8-10 large flat mushrooms
1.Preheat the oven to 190ºC.
2.Melt the butter in a heavy-based 23cm, ovenproof frying pan. Add the onion, garlic, bacon and thyme and cook for 8-10 minutes until the onion is tender but not brown.
3.Scatter the flour over the pan and arrange the mushrooms in an overlapping spiral manner on top of the onion mixture, face side down. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
4.Working quickly, roll out the chilled pastry on a lightly floured bench to a 24cm circle. Drape over the rolling pin and unroll over the mushrooms then tuck the excess pastry on the inside edge of the frying pan.
5.Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes before carefully inverting on to a plate. Serve garnished with more freshly chopped thyme and a little chopped parsley.
Or you could scatter over a Tuscan-style crumble of diced sundried tomatoes, toasted pinenuts or pistachios, olives, capers, crumbled feta and chopped basil or parsley.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you