- Publish Date
- Monday, 13 January 2020, 9:25AM
Meghan Markle's estranged father Thomas Markle has been keeping largely out of the spotlight for a few months now ... that was until this week.
Just days after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced they plan to work to become "financially independent" and will be scaling down their official royal duties, the 75-year-old former lighting director has spoken out saying he is "disappointed" by the news.
Thomas - who hasn't seen his daughter since before she married Prince Harry in May 2018 - told Us Weekly magazine, "I'll just simply say I'm disappointed."
The royal couple announced last week they plan to "carve out a progressive new role" for themselves.
• Prince Harry and Meghan Markle share their first family Christmas snap starring baby Archie
• Prince Harry shares heartbreaking revelation camera flashes remind him of Princess Diana's death
In a statement posted to their Instagram account, they wrote: "After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as 'senior' members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen."
Harry and Meghan will be splitting their time between the United Kingdom and North America.
However, Buckingham Palace officials later described the move as "complicated."
They said in a brief statement: "Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage.
"We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through."
The 38-year-old former actress has been estranged from her father since he famously skipped her and Prince Harry's wedding last May amid fallout stemming from the staged photo scandal and him repeatedly speaking about the Sussexes to the press.