ROYAL WEDDING: Buckingham Palace announces Princess Beatrice's nuptials have been called off

Publish Date
Friday, 17 April 2020, 4:03PM

Princess Beatrice's wedding was just six weeks away, however, the bride-to-be has decided to cancel her nuptials due to the Coronavirus outbreak in the UK.

Buckingham Palace has confirmed the 31-year-old, who's ninth in line to the throne, will no longer walk down the aisle on Friday 29 May to exchange vows with property tycoon Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi.

The couple had previously announced they were set to marry in London at the Chapel Royal, situated within the grounds of St James's Palace.

The wedding was to be followed by a private reception in the nearby gardens of Buckingham Palace, hosted by the Queen.

However, an official statement from the Palace said: "There are no plans to switch venues or hold a bigger wedding. They aren't even thinking about their wedding at this time.

"There will come a time to rearrange, but that's not yet."

READ MORE:
• Prince Harry and Meghan Markle fans get update on baby Archie ahead of his first birthday
• Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis share sweet "thank you" video to medical workers

The announcement comes after it was previously revealed the couple would already be cancelling their private reception.

"They are particularly conscious of government advice in relation to both the wellbeing of older family members and large gatherings of people," an official statement from the Palace said.

"Therefore, the planned reception in the Buckingham Palace Gardens will not take place.

"The couple will carefully consider government advice before deciding whether a private marriage might take place amongst a small group of family and friends."

The chapel, which was built in 1540, also served as the wedding venue for Queen Elizabeth II’s grandfather, King George V, as well as the christening site for Prince George and Prince Louis.

Beatrice and Edoardo had been together for 11 months at the time they announced their engagement in September last year. Father-of-one Edoardo proposed with a ring estimated to have cost £100,000, while the pair were holidaying in Italy.